Thursday, May 27, 2010

LET THE SUMMER SEASON BEGIN, by Stacy Hudson


I am still reeling over the fact that it has already been over 2 months since my last blog entry. The last several weeks seem to have been a whirlwind of activity here at the winery. Of course, most of that activity was ‘behind-the scenes’ as our busy season in the Tasting Room isn’t quite here yet.
Our many planning sessions have resulted in a summer and fall season filled with several new events. The upcoming month of June features three of these: the first of our Yoga in the Vineyard series , our first-ever Summer Solstice Lobster Bake (complete with dining out in the vineyard), and a fun afternoon on Father’s Day with fly-fishing instructors from the neighboring Orvis Sandanona.


With the Memorial Day weekend upon us and our first winery event of the season (our Tocai Friulano Release Party) under our belts, it is time to transition from brain-storming (although that never really stops!) to planning and organizing the events we have scheduled. As I consider myself a well-organized person, I take great satisfaction in knowing that we plan each of our events to the finest detail. This doesn’t say that I don’t feel anxiety when these events roll around…because I do! The thing that balances that anxiety is knowing what a great team I work with. This was once again clearly illustrated to me at our recent Tocai party. Everyone just chipped in and helped wherever or however was needed and the day went off without a hitch. It is a thoroughly gratifying feeling to experience that at the end of the day.

On a less ‘task-driven’ focus, I have to just say a few words about what a peaceful place this property is. While we get a majority of our visitors on weekends (because, hey, if I didn’t work here that would be the only time I could come for a visit!) if you ever have the opportunity to visit during the week you will be in for such a tranquil treat. I just enjoyed a picnic lunch with dear friends of mine (publishers of The Valley Table). Just being able to sit and enjoy some time at our newly tented picnic site was so relaxing. Other than our conversation, the only notable noise was the sound of a mourning dove off in the distance. Combine that with the pastoral views of the ponds, vineyards and hillsides, and I am once again reminded of what a beautiful place I work.

No comments:

Post a Comment